Multiple servers

Vivitaru

Multiple servers

Post by Vivitaru » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:45 am

I just installed a second server that handles endgame zones, everything works fine except for communication between players, it seems messages are not delivered across the two servers. Any idea what could be the problem?

Thanks

nasomi

Re: Multiple servers

Post by nasomi » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:31 pm

Look at the bottom of map_darkstar.conf and make sure that the msg_server_ip i s the ip of hte lobby server.

Vivitaru

Post by Vivitaru » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:43 pm

nasomi wrote:Look at the bottom of map_darkstar.conf and make sure that the msg_server_ip i s the ip of hte lobby server.
Looks like those lines were missing in my conf from a previous update, thank you so much!

Vivitaru

Post by Vivitaru » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:13 pm

I'm currently testing this locally on my two pcs before putting it live, for some reason the lobby server only seems to accept connections from 127.0.0.1. It sounds like a firewall problem but there is none. I tried telnet but the connection always fails instantly, it sounds like it's forcibly rejecting the connection. When i do a netstat, the connection state says: <lan_address>:54003 SYN_SENT. I tried to swap the lobby server to the other computer and the same thing happens, can't connect remotely but telneting 127.0.0.1 54003 works.

Are there any ip rules i should be setting up as well?

atom0s
Developer

Post by atom0s » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:55 am

The lobby server simply listens on various ports the IP it binds to is whatever is available on your system.
You need to be sure that if you have any anti-virus' or firewalls running, that you have allowed the lobby server access to the internet/network.

For Windows Firewall, it is as simple as just adding the exe to the exception list. You do not need to port forward then as it will be allowed to use any port needed. (Of course if you wanted to, you could specify every port needed manually etc.) But be certain that you do the same for any other applications running that may block it.

Vivitaru

Post by Vivitaru » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:13 am

atom0s wrote:The lobby server simply listens on various ports the IP it binds to is whatever is available on your system.
You need to be sure that if you have any anti-virus' or firewalls running, that you have allowed the lobby server access to the internet/network.

For Windows Firewall, it is as simple as just adding the exe to the exception list. You do not need to port forward then as it will be allowed to use any port needed. (Of course if you wanted to, you could specify every port needed manually etc.) But be certain that you do the same for any other applications running that may block it.
The only thing i have is the windows firewall and it's disabled. I tried to enable it and add the exe like you suggested but no luck. I'm able to connect with the game client remotely so i know for sure it's accepting connections. I can remotely telnet ports 54001, 54002, 54230 but not 54003 unless it's from localhost.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:21 am

if you're using hairpin or external IP you need to forward the ports in your router

what IP are you using?

Vivitaru

Post by Vivitaru » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:44 am

kjLotus wrote:if you're using hairpin or external IP you need to forward the ports in your router

what IP are you using?
I'm using the external IP from my public server. I already have: 54230 TCP/UDP, 54231+54001+54002 TCP forwarded. People are able to log in the game and i connect from my LAN to my external ip address. Now i just added 54003 to the ports forwarding list and tried to telnet it with both the external and lan ip addresses and it still won't connect.

Edit: I just noticed this with netstat: 127.0.0.1:54003 and all the other ports have 0.0.0.0: in front, could it be why it's only accepting from localhost and if so, how to change it so it accepts from any interface?

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:30 am

double checked the ports, 54003 is just for the message server (it has nothing to do with logging in - it's 127.0.0.1 because that's what you put for msg_server_ip in the config)

Vivitaru

Post by Vivitaru » Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:42 am

kjLotus wrote:double checked the ports, 54003 is just for the message server (it has nothing to do with logging in - it's 127.0.0.1 because that's what you put for msg_server_ip in the config)
My problem is not logging in, it's the messages that aren't received between servers. I checked the lobby core and changed msg_server_ip for 0.0.0.0, now server 2 can connect remotely to 54003 but i only get one-way communication. I'm pretty sure i'll be able to figure out the rest, thanks for the replies!