Server Questions - Residential ISP & Settings

sekigah

Server Questions - Residential ISP & Settings

Post by sekigah » Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:18 am

I'm looking to run a server for a few friends and I got it working for LAN use only. I am looking to open it up but found that if too many people connect, some ISPs will ban/throttle your connection.

Anyone on Verizon FIOS can comment on this? Have you been warned/disconnected from services? How many people connecting is too many? How much bandwidth does a single client need?

FYI I have 100MBPS Up/Down.

Another question:

If I wanted to make a GM character lv 99 and the rest of the server lv 75 but also give the GM every key item and i119 relics/gear etc how would I go about doing that? I heard using @addmission without giving key items can cause some bad behavior. Also tweaking the SQL database directly can cause issues.

Could anyone confirm?

Also which DSP admin tools are still functional?

nasomi

Re: Server Questions - Residential ISP & Settings

Post by nasomi » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:59 pm

some ISPs will ban/throttle your connection.
This is not a thing you have to worry about.

You can run the server with a hundred users on 1.5mbit up.

The rest of the stuff is something you really have to figure out on your own with experience in running the server. Everyone runs things differently.

How can tweaking hte db directly cause issues? i do it all the time, i have 20+ saved queries and run about 50+ on the fly on a regular basis. Learn sql, you're going to need it if you want to run a successful server.

sekigah

Post by sekigah » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I was told from other admins that tweaking the SQL tables directly can screw things up royally. One example they used was if you updated the mission status without certain key items, it can cause issues. Same reason behind the @addmission command.

I was just worried because most ISP TOS say you can't run servers on residential accounts but glad to know such little bandwidth is used.

I have been modifying certain things without issues. I did notice that if I set job levels manually in the SQL tables, the server doesn't update unless I restart it. Any way to update the server with SQL changes without restarting it?

I'm using MYSQL Workbench, querying the tables for all records and filtering for what I need and then modifying the values there. From my understanding that is similar to running a command line query (without having to learn SQL command line which I should).

For example if I go to the char_jobs table and change WAR from 1 to 75 on the correct account, the game will still show level 1 until I restart the server. Restarting the client doesn't work. So I'm assuming updates go one way and not the other unless something is triggered on the client side? Forgive my lack of understanding.

nasomi

Post by nasomi » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:00 pm

The amount of bandwidth used is of no consequence when it comes to your ISP's TOS. No servers is no servers, regardless of bandwidth used. For that purpose, you open yourself to the risk they may find out, and may not like it.

Your missions are stored in a blob, unless you know how to handle blobs, you can corrupt the data inside it. The keyitems are also stored in blobs.

Jobs and things of that nature are stored in memory primarily, however every time you zone it should be reloaded. Changing job levels in the db directly should take effect for the character in question upon zone. I've done this many times when deleveling players for violating rules.

If you do choose to perform sql commands, a tool such as navicat can be an easy way to become familiar with query structure, as it has a query builder built in.

sekigah

Post by sekigah » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:59 am

Thanks Nasomi. For some reason, job levels don't update on zone for me.

Been using the @setplayerlevel command in the meantime. Get's a bit tedious.

Change job @setplayerlevel. Repeat @.@

I'll figure it out. Appreciate the info.