DSP on a paid hosted server?

HappyBivouac

DSP on a paid hosted server?

Post by HappyBivouac » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:38 am

So after stumbling through the process of setting up Darkstar, I managed to get a rudimentary, playable local server going. That's all well and good, but the end goal is to have a little server to basically dick around and co-op through the game with a few friends. The problem is I'm living abroad at the moment in China, while one friend is in Japan and the rest are back in the states. I'd like to ideally set up the server outside of China so people back home can have a better connection.

In the past I've only used hosted servers for games like Minecraft, where the service is specifically tailored for that game, with in-browser server console, etc. I'm wondering how possible it would be to build the server and upload it to a host to have it run from there. What steps would have to be taken to achieve that?

KOSMOS

Re: DSP on a paid hosted server?

Post by KOSMOS » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:46 pm

HappyBivouac wrote:So after stumbling through the process of setting up Darkstar, I managed to get a rudimentary, playable local server going. That's all well and good, but the end goal is to have a little server to basically dick around and co-op through the game with a few friends. The problem is I'm living abroad at the moment in China, while one friend is in Japan and the rest are back in the states. I'd like to ideally set up the server outside of China so people back home can have a better connection.

In the past I've only used hosted servers for games like Minecraft, where the service is specifically tailored for that game, with in-browser server console, etc. I'm wondering how possible it would be to build the server and upload it to a host to have it run from there. What steps would have to be taken to achieve that?
You would need more than likely need to have a dedicated server. Most shared hosting servers typically do not allow you root access to the server.

nasomi

Re: DSP on a paid hosted server?

Post by nasomi » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:56 pm

I'm in USA, and have people playing in EU and asia, who have nearly zero lag. I even went to japan and thailand, and was able to connect to the server with no lag. The only time where it MIGHT come into play just a little bit, is if you're NM camping against someone in the states.