Hardware Requirements for Server

bluekirby0
Developer

Re: Hardware Requirements for Server

Post by bluekirby0 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:35 pm

Or compiling as 64-bit in general. 64-bit windows still runs 32-bit programs, which is what is happening in your case. If you didn't very explicitly change it then its compiling as 32-bit.

korn16ftl3

Post by korn16ftl3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:24 am

bluekirby0 wrote:If you are running a dedicated server you can avoid the load that a hefty OS puts on a system by running it on a linux system without running a graphical desktop environment.
hmmm.... all cmd prompt linux? what distro is generally used? i was thinking something way small like a hard drive install of something like DSL (damn small linux that runs as debian), Mint linux (also debian based), kubuntu (i like KDE interface) or even ubuntu.

what linux distrobutions are recommended for this task?
bluekirby0 wrote:Or compiling as 64-bit in general. 64-bit windows still runs 32-bit programs, which is what is happening in your case. If you didn't very explicitly change it then its compiling as 32-bit.
so i run into confusion here a little bit....i know that a 32bit OS can only see up to 4GB ram....any thing over that a 64 bit os is required to see...so if a program that is compiled to run in 32bit (as this is) and it can run on a 64bit OS as a 32bit program will the 32bit program ever see any thing more than the 32bit 4GB ram limitation?

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:57 am

My personal recommendation is Debian, but you may find that the packages it installs are often a little more outdated than you like in the stable version so testing might be more suitable.

If you run a 32-bit program in a 64-bit OS, the program itself is restricted to seeing 4 GB of RAM. Thanks to PAE (Physical Address Extension), that doesn't mean that all 32-bit programs share the same 4 GB of RAM, as each program can be told to operate in a different region of memory...but no single process can page more than 4 GB.

korn16ftl3

Post by korn16ftl3 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:16 pm

bluekirby0 wrote:My personal recommendation is Debian, but you may find that the packages it installs are often a little more outdated than you like in the stable version so testing might be more suitable.

If you run a 32-bit program in a 64-bit OS, the program itself is restricted to seeing 4 GB of RAM. Thanks to PAE (Physical Address Extension), that doesn't mean that all 32-bit programs share the same 4 GB of RAM, as each program can be told to operate in a different region of memory...but no single process can page more than 4 GB.
thank you for the recommendation and clarification. as far as Debian should it be just strait Debian or any Debian based linux distro with the necessary repositories and such add'd?

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:18 pm

I recommend Debian mainly because the installer lets you install a very bare-bones system so you can install only what you need using apt. That said, its not as small as DSL but it also has a much richer availability of packages. If you are going to install a full desktop environment anyway then its up to you what distro you want.

korn16ftl3

Post by korn16ftl3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:30 am

bluekirby0 wrote:I recommend Debian mainly because the installer lets you install a very bare-bones system so you can install only what you need using apt. That said, its not as small as DSL but it also has a much richer availability of packages. If you are going to install a full desktop environment anyway then its up to you what distro you want.
i briefed the tutorial in the wiki about a Linux set up and it talks about compiling the source code and things of that nature i have a laptop that i just snagged for a steal http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/docu ... 15474#N415 at $20 and all that is wrong with it was a burned up hard drive (i have a spare 250GB hdd) and i am not extremely Linux comfortable/fluent. what would be easier for a first time noob to start using that has little to no experience with compiling and very limited Linux experience to begin or start to learn with? a windows server or a linux server?

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:20 am

Well, luckily compiling software on linux is usually straightforward. If you are willing to learn then Lubuntu makes a good starter desktop distro that will run well on less-than stellar hardware. It'll give you a windows-ish desktop environment to work from and all the amenities of a modern linux distro while still giving you access to the bare-metal when you need it.

korn16ftl3

Post by korn16ftl3 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:59 pm

bluekirby0 wrote:Well, luckily compiling software on linux is usually straightforward. If you are willing to learn then Lubuntu makes a good starter desktop distro that will run well on less-than stellar hardware. It'll give you a windows-ish desktop environment to work from and all the amenities of a modern linux distro while still giving you access to the bare-metal when you need it.
ok then thank you once again for the direction :-) worst case scenario i dont like it or have issues with the learning curb and i just dump the linux part and try on windows i suppose :-) i shall stop bombarding this thread and make my own because from here on out i dont think any thing else will have any thing to do with system requirements thank you for your help and patience