PlayOnline Registry Paths by OS

morsx

PlayOnline Registry Paths by OS

Post by morsx » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:51 am

Hey guys, I'm working on an install project for PlayOnline/FFXI and realized I couldn't find all of the registry path info for the PlayOnlineUS version. I thought it would be nice to just create a new thread in which we log this information for everyone to see/use. So far I have the information for Windows 7 64bit and Windows 10 64bit. I believe I have the correct info for Win XP as well but correct me if I'm wrong. The piece I'm missing is what the registry path for PlayOnlineUS is on Windows 7,8,8.1 or 10 32bit so if someone has PlayOnline US version installed on that OS if they could share their registry path that would be awesome! Thanks!

Windows 7/10 64bit PlayOnlineUS Path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\PlayOnlineUS

Windows XP (32bit) PlayOnlineUS Path :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlayOnlineUS

whasf
Site Admin

Re: PlayOnline Registry Paths by OS

Post by whasf » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:23 am

Shouldn't those both be the same data?
-- Whasf

morsx

Post by morsx » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:29 pm

Yea, the information in those hives is the same as far as I have figured out so far. I just want to log what the root path to PlayOnlineUS is in each OS because this is required information in order to create the registry keys for a custom install.

The path for Windows 7-10 32bit may actually just be the same as the Windows XP path but I'd like to confirm.

buddysievers

Post by buddysievers » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:41 pm

I once created a setup which installs ffxi with the latest update files but the problem is that the original setup sets some unique keys in your registry without them it wont work!

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\PlayOnlineEU\Interface]
"1000"="0153a318"
"0002"="0153a431"
"0001"="01051f09"

On each system there are unique hash's generated so if you dont know how to generate them it wont work.
Also even when i used the regsvr32 to register all dll's from the game it crashed at startup.
And then there is the another problem, the game wont show up in your PlayOnline viewer with the version number.
So you need to do a file check with Pol because there is a weird mechanic on how the client recognize's it.
My guess was that there is also an unique system id salt used in the hash's inside the filetable.
I wish you good luck with your project but its not that easy to just have the registry path and registering the dll's thats for sure.

morsx

Post by morsx » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:35 am

Thanks for the feedback buddy. I do see that the interface values on each PC I have here are different. So perhaps even with a completely custom install you still need to run a quick check files on FFXI to update the registry then re-copy your custom files... good to know! I'm hoping the custom install allows me to lock the game version. Sure does make the install process much quicker.

buddysievers

Post by buddysievers » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:01 am

You are welcome and i would like to see a custom installer so keep up the work maybe you have more luck then i had. :)

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:27 pm

We will need it once FFXI goes end-of-life and they shut down their update server..
-- Whasf

buddysievers

Post by buddysievers » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:33 pm

Isnt there a way to record what the real setup and the pol filecheck avtually does?
With a debuggervor something like that?

buddysievers

Post by buddysievers » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:44 pm

Also for your question about the registry paths, its actually

Windows XP/7/8/10 64bit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\PlayOnlineUS

Windows XP/7/8/10 32bit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlayOnlineUS

like you allready thought i can confirm that!

But all msi or other install routine creator tools set them in the right path without need to do a check or such.
I used Advanced Installer and tried Install Shield both do it automatic you just need to give what comes after

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\

and it will set the values depending on your OS!

morsx

Post by morsx » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:36 pm

Unfortunately could not get this working on Win 7 64bit without running checkfiles. FFXI process simply won't start for me despite all my efforts. May look into this again if I ever have free dev time...