Client Version Ahead of Server Version

arashikage

Client Version Ahead of Server Version

Post by arashikage » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:58 pm

I currently play on 2 different private servers. One requires an update to my client to continue playing on the server. The other does not. My question is, if I update, will it interfere with my ability to play on the non-updating server? Are there any connection issues or side effects from playing with a client / server mismatch?

TeoTwawki
Developer

Re: Client Version Ahead of Server Version

Post by TeoTwawki » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:25 pm

unless the server edits either their version.info or their lobby source, you might not be able to connect to one of them. The projects default behavior is to reject connections to mismatched versions because our lead dev got really tired of people on the wrong version reporting bugs that didn't exist (it was their client version mismatch at fault).

Aside from that, if you can connect their may or may not be small issue sin game such as: objects (mob or NPC) with the wrong name, cut scene events getting stuck waiting for an NPC at the wrong ID, various text strings having the wrong ID, which may or may not crash the client out (usually seen on conquest NPCs in town when starting missions), or that galka in bastok markets oddly talking about being a little mithra girl (has happened, he was pulling wrong string lol). Nothing too serious.
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS

arashikage

Re: Client Version Ahead of Server Version

Post by arashikage » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:30 am

Thanks for the response. I can understand the devs putting something like that in place to simplify things on their end.