Looking for Someone to Test Epiphanism/n00bgames server.

n00bgames

Looking for Someone to Test Epiphanism/n00bgames server.

Post by n00bgames » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:38 pm

Just looking to see, at the moment at least, if people can login to server: www.epiphanism.org

Need to make sure my DMZ settings are enough to not need port forwarding, etc. I can access it from DNS with Ashita (occasionally have to try a few times due to a common dsp bug), wanting to see if others can access it before I beg a few friends to patch FFXI after several years of no playing. =)

kjLotus
Special Guest

Re: Looking for Someone to Test Epiphanism/n00bgames server.

Post by kjLotus » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:14 am

could not connect to epiphanism.org (205.161.29.189)

edit: nevermind, got into lobby server

n00bgames

Post by n00bgames » Wed Dec 25, 2013 12:28 am

yeah it bounces quite a bit when you try to login sometimes, but it's not a firewall issue it just gives a lot of the "client cannot receive packet" things. And opening up shops seems to crash my clients, but nothing in the log to say why, it's just a client crash not a server crash.

atom0s
Developer

Post by atom0s » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:17 am

I really don't suggest hosting a full game server from your home network as it seems you are doing. Your ISP is going to be a hassle for you if your server starts to gain any popularity.
If you plan to host a server for FFXI, I would recommend finding a VPS to run it on to rent.
(Also suggest you host it outside of the USA.)

n00bgames

Post by n00bgames » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:44 am

Just testing at the moment, my ISP port blocks nothing, I've ran a WoW Emu Server from it, I run Starbound, TF2, but I will definitely keep your suggestions close to heart. First off I'm just trying to figure out how to fix things on it. It's intended to eventually be just for friends I just wanted to make sure I had it configured properly to accept incoming connections, which it seems to with general quarks. Just gotta figure out how to fix my NPCS now to make it playable then get a friend that wanted to relive some nostalgia up and running. =)

atom0s
Developer

Post by atom0s » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:59 pm

n00bgames wrote:Just testing at the moment, my ISP port blocks nothing, I've ran a WoW Emu Server from it, I run Starbound, TF2, but I will definitely keep your suggestions close to heart. First off I'm just trying to figure out how to fix things on it. It's intended to eventually be just for friends I just wanted to make sure I had it configured properly to accept incoming connections, which it seems to with general quarks. Just gotta figure out how to fix my NPCS now to make it playable then get a friend that wanted to relive some nostalgia up and running. =)
Typically port blocks wont be your issue. Most ISP's have in their ToS that you are not allowed to run a server of any sort (including web) from your home connection. And if they catch you violating their ToS, your service will be terminated. I warn against it since a lot of areas do not have multiple ISPs in their area to change to if that happens. So you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot if you gain popularity and cause too much traffic to make your ISP notice it.

In most cases if its a minor thing they wont do anything. But stuff like torrents, major servers like FTP or similar, etc. that gain a lot of traffic typically trigger a red flag for them to investigate.

n00bgames

Post by n00bgames » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:08 pm

Understood. I'm in pretty good with my ISP for a while, I've been running services since I've had the service and have let the CEO of the ISP know that I run game servers and web services, but non for profit and he hasn't had an issue with it yet, if they do they'll just start charging my business class. My upload isn't good enough for a major server anyway it's mainly for a few friends. =)