Darkstar Old-School server

Siatdiat

Re: Darkstar Old-School server

Post by Siatdiat » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:50 pm

Is this server pretty active? I am really interested in finding the most active classic FFXI private server out there, so any input regarding that from players would be greatly appreciated! I am kind of sad that the Hardcore server apparently didn't work out. Oh well, thanks in advance for any help!

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:31 pm

Siatdiat wrote:Is this server pretty active? I am really interested in finding the most active classic FFXI private server out there, so any input regarding that from players would be greatly appreciated! I am kind of sad that the Hardcore server apparently didn't work out. Oh well, thanks in advance for any help!
It varies. it has a kind of steady small population of people that multi-box to get around. I update it pretty regularly.
-- Whasf

Siatdiat

Post by Siatdiat » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:48 pm

Hmm... that's disappointing. It seems like a lot of people say they want to play an old school FFXI but then when it comes to playing it, they solo it by multi-boxing? All of these servers are popping up with cap of 75, and competing with each other to attract the same small handful of niche players. It seems like if the people involved with these servers could work together on one server and that niche population could all go to the same server you would have a very active player base indeed. Maybe one day FFXI will have a private classic server as popular and well done as P99 server for classic EQ.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:14 pm

i'm pretty sure they still party with each other, just that an 18 man alliance is like 5 or 6 actual people

TeoTwawki
Developer

Post by TeoTwawki » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:33 pm

Siatdiat wrote:Hmm... that's disappointing. It seems like a lot of people say they want to play an old school FFXI but then when it comes to playing it, they solo it by multi-boxing? All of these servers are popping up with cap of 75, and competing with each other to attract the same small handful of niche players.
I've been saying this while people insist to me that if only someone would just make a real oldschool (dear you know who you are's, whasf's is "real" kthxbye) server thousands would come "because thats what the majority want"... All evidence points to people simply gravitating to where they think the most other players are, and nothing else. The largest servers combined have a few hundred players. All of said largest servers have some degree of customization, even if that customization is to make things harder and grindyer because thats what their nostalgia goggles tell them retail was like.
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS

awsoonn

Post by awsoonn » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:31 pm

I just tried to create an account and char on this server and when I logged in I couldn't equip the starter weapon and all of my stats were NULL. :( I didn't get a response from a GM, so I wasn't sure where to go next.

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:53 pm

awsoonn wrote:I just tried to create an account and char on this server and when I logged in I couldn't equip the starter weapon and all of my stats were NULL. :( I didn't get a response from a GM, so I wasn't sure where to go next.
I just created a character there and I was able to equip the starter weapon and ring just fine. Try it without your plugins, also make sure you have the latest client.
-- Whasf

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:10 pm

whasf wrote:also make sure you have the latest client.
ah yeah, the last patch did that (all stats were blank)

Linnear

Post by Linnear » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:20 pm

Myself and two friends recently joined Old School and it is about as close to old school as anyone can reasonably expect.

The updates are frequent and quality of life changes happen very quickly. I probably have about 100 hours put in so far and I still can't wait to finish work and put the kids to bed and play this.

The community is fantastic, and super helpful. The Low pop is misleading as I haven't really had issues getting anything I needed as everyone is super helpful.

The AH is a bit under stocked, but it gets better every day and there is virtually no inflation. Farm castle OZ mobs for 3-4 hours and you have a scorp harness! In reality the server is missing another 5-10 semi dedicated players and the Vanidiel is your oyster. Dyna, HNM, and sky happen regularly, and we even have a a few new people who never played retail. Play as a single account like I am or play with an army following you like my buddy, it doesn't' really matter, you can still find dunes parties and bird parties, and FOV are highly used.

All in all great things to say about this server and I strongly encourage anyone who loves this game to come join us.

Lurchbernals

Post by Lurchbernals » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:46 pm

earlier this week i was listening to my music on shuffle and "Weak and Powerless" by A Perfect Circle played and sent me on a huge nostalgia trip. All week i have been sighing and thinking about all the great adventures i had in FFXI and how i wish i could go back in time. I had never heard of the Darkstar Project until a hour ago after searching for games similar to FFXI. So i went on a quest into the bowels of my basement in search of my FFXI install disk. I just found it and cant wait to play updating the game now. I will see you all soon..... I Hope!!!