New Server

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Re: New Server

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:31 am

settings.lua just limits the quests that Maat will offer. Technically, your GMs can break through 75. I like to make sure people are aware of how that setting works.

Removing items... If you're using Navicat for the SQL tables, then you might want to make and save a table that does the deleting for you. "DELETE FROM table WHERE [conditions];". Conditions could be:
itemid = 100
itemid IN (100, 101, 105, 108)
itemid BETWEEN 100 AND 110
itemid > 500

Don't forget your semicolon at the end of each line. Here's some stuff from my customization query, to give you an idea how it can work:

Code: Select all

-- Missing Traits
-- Monk
DELETE FROM `traits` WHERE job = '2' AND name = 'subtle blow' AND level IN (25, 45, 65);
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(67, 'subtle blow', 2, 25, 0, 289, 5);
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(67, 'subtle blow', 2, 45, 0, 289, 5);
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(67, 'subtle blow', 2, 65, 0, 289, 5);
-- Paladin
DELETE FROM `traits` WHERE job = '7' AND name = 'shield mastery' AND level IN (50, 75);
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(25, 'shield mastery', 7, 50, 0, 0, 0);
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(25, 'shield mastery', 7, 75, 0, 0, 0);
-- Dragoon
DELETE FROM `traits` WHERE job = '14' AND name = 'accuracy bonus' AND level = 50;
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(1, 'accuracy bonus', 14, 50, 0, 64, 12);
-- Summoner
DELETE FROM `traits` WHERE job = '15' AND name = 'resist slow' AND level = 75;
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(59, 'resist slow', 15, 75, 0, 250, 0);
-- Dancer
DELETE FROM `traits` WHERE job = '19' AND name = 'dual wield';
DELETE FROM `traits` WHERE job = '19' AND name = 'evasion bonus' AND level IN (45, 75);
DELETE FROM `traits` WHERE job = '19' AND name = 'accuracy bonus' AND level = 60;
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(18, 'dual wield', 19, 20, 0, 259, 10);
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(18, 'dual wield', 19, 40, 0, 259, 5);
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(2, 'evasion bonus', 19, 45, 0, 69, 12);
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(67, 'subtle blow', 19, 45, 0, 289, 5);
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(18, 'dual wield', 19, 60, 0, 259, 10);
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(1, 'accuracy bonus', 19, 60, 0, 64, 12);
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(67, 'subtle blow', 19, 65, 0, 289, 5);
INSERT INTO `traits` VALUES(2, 'evasion bonus', 19, 75, 0, 69, 13);
I delete before I insert because traits can potentially duplicate. :) That shouldn't be an issue with items.

Blocking access to the areas... I'm not sure if there's a setting for that, yet. Another option would be to change the zoneip/port for that zone to 0, but then if a player tries to go there, they get stuck. What I'd do is go looking for the zone_line for the entrance (or script, if applicable), and remove that. Again, you might want to make a query that can redo that, in case of future changes.

You can also do something like this to just change values, instead of deleting them entirely:

Code: Select all

-- Abilities
UPDATE `abilities` SET level = '40' WHERE name = 'sekkanoki';
UPDATE `abilities` SET recastTime = '60' WHERE name = 'call_wyvern';

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:36 am

I'd think the best chance a fully classic server has of getting off the ground is to make a big push promoting once zilart is fully complete. Get that big spike of players and keep them.

I've been holding off trying to get my friends or others to join until the project is a little further along but I'll start trying to poke around on your server a little bit more. There are still many things that are broken that detract from the difficulty so I don't think it's really the right time to make a big push on classic, although I do think you should keep the server up and running. At least you can get some experience getting everything running smoothly while stuff is still in development.

old school classic ffxi was extremely group dependent and leveling was extremely hard without FoV books to solo. It did give that sense of accomplishment when you finally were able to conquer new content.

I know there are people like me who don't mind helping to make a game just right and don't care about rerolling or a server wipe for full classic, but there are many other players who would log on, play for a few hours or a day, then log off unsatisfied.

edit.. unless I misunderstood and your intent is to just get some experience with the code for the moment.

If you are going to be keeping the server up full time, you could add the information to the wiki. Maybe try some of those "whose online" or "look whats for sale on the AH" webtools.

Magiknight

Post by Magiknight » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:40 pm

PrBlahBlahtson:

How do I create this table? I know how to make a table, but it will not let me save it. What section do I put the code in? Comments? Triggers? Etc. Unfortunately I don't know a whole lot about SQL or Navicat. Hopefully I can pick it up.

Flunklesnarkin:

The server is going to take me a while to finalize. I don't think I am going to leave it up until I have figured out what is best for it and done some advertisement. Like you said, the game would rely heavily on groups so having people online at the same time would almost be mandatory. Since there will be so few people I'm thinking about raising the crafting skill up rate and movement speed a bit.

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:34 am

I think if you are going to go full classic, keep it as full classic. That can be your selling point.

I've played a bunch of the "classic" everquest emulators before and I can tell you first hand the amount of complaining people do when something isn't just right lol.

I'm skeptical crafting will be a huge problem though. People crafting bot like crazy especially with all the botting tools freely available out there. It's just a fact of online games.

I don't bot, but that doesn't mean I haven't witnessed it or seen it happen even on these servers here lol. I play games not to metagame but to just accomplish goals. My goal isn't financial domination or making RMT bank so it doesn't bother me that much if it's not directly affecting me.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:16 am

Magiknight wrote:How do I create this table?
Write a new query, then save the query.

Worst case scenario, right click on "Queries" under the dspdb, and select "New Query." Make the delete/update/insert queries you need, save it, and click run to execute them. You'll either be notified of a syntax issue, or be given a "rows affected" result.

It might be tricky to learn how to write queries if you haven't before, which is why I tried to give a sort of crash course. I just wanted to recommend a way to quickly recreate your edits in case any of those tables get modified in the future. Would really suck if you dumped hours into removing all that stuff, and lost it after an update.

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:21 am

Keep in mind there's no anti-cheating measures in the server right now either
-- Whasf

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:28 am

Aside from malformed packet detection, and even that is pretty basic.

Magiknight

Post by Magiknight » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:52 pm

When I try to run a new query it says "1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manuals that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near "spell_list' WHERE name = 'cure_vi' at line 1".

I picked cure_vi at random to see if it was something I could delete. I know if I set the level cap to level 75 that I wont have to delete cure_vi. It's just something random I picked to try a new query and it's not working.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:49 am

Seems to be the single-quote/apostrophe around spell_list. The grave accent (`, above tab on most US keyboards) works, or you can just use nothing around the table name.

These were tested to work:
DELETE FROM `spell_list` WHERE name = 'cure_vi';
DELETE FROM spell_list WHERE name = 'cure_vi';

Also, I capitalize a lot to make reading easier, but lower case works fine if you don't care. :)

Magiknight

Post by Magiknight » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:13 am

Sweet! It works! Now I just have to figure out what all needs changing.... Thank you so much!