SMN unlock wackiness

Rur0uni

SMN unlock wackiness

Post by Rur0uni » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:07 am

While going through I Can Hear a Rainbow, I made the at-the-time-unknown mistake of being on a chocobo. Sure enough, I got hit with the orange bug. It was about that time I figured something was up...conveniently too late to keep it from happening, but when you don't know there's a bug to watch out for, it's easy to miss it. I managed to get out of the black screen with a @zone but I figured the character didn't have credit for the cutscene since it never actually played. So, I kept running around getting the rest of the colors, and upon getting the final one, no extra cutscene. I ran around, sans-chocobo, looking for a zone with normal weather, but the orange cutscene wouldn't play again. When that didn't work, I went to a zone with normal weather and did a @cs on that zone's Carbuncle event to force the orange scene. It played, but still no extra scene to say the next part of the quest in La Theine was ready.

So I guess the questions I'm coming up with are:
--For this character, has the bug done irreparable damage to the quest progression, meaning I'll have to fudge the unlock with a DB edit to get it?
--For other characters, I came across this old post with a patch that says it addresses the bug:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=792
...but I also found old posts saying not to trust old patches, as they probably don't work with all the changes that have happened since. Does anybody know if this one will still work, or is the solution just to tell everybody "Don't ever use a chocobo while you do this"?

kjLotus
Special Guest

Re: SMN unlock wackiness

Post by kjLotus » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:53 pm

that patch was already committed into the repo anyways

you'll probably have to either modify the quest script to not check some db flag that got set, or fudge your database quest values a bit to get it to work

Rur0uni

Post by Rur0uni » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:35 pm

I'm assuming the three affected values are in the char_vars table. Looking at the quest script as a reference, I_CAN_HEAR_A_RAINBOW is set to 125, which would be the value given to someone who got all the colors except orange (the orange event adds 2 to the total, and the final cutscene is triggered when the variable hits 127). The table has two other related variables. ICanHearARainbow is set to 2, and ICanHearARainbow_Weather is set to 1. Rather than editing char_jobs to unlock the job, I could probably set the 127 and just go to the ??? to turn in the quest, but I'm not 100% on how the other two variables factor in, or if they would need to be changed along with the tally.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:59 pm

you'd have to check all the other scripts to see what they're for (zonein in zone.lua for getting weather cs, the quest giver [think it was that door..?], etc)

Rur0uni

Post by Rur0uni » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:07 pm

I tried my idea just to see what happened. I went into the DB and set I_CAN_HEAR_A_RAINBOW to 127, then I took the character to a no-weather zone and did a @cs on the Carbuncle event. It played the orange scene, then went into the next part telling the character to go to the ??? in La Theine. So I guess I have a somewhat clunky fix if it happens to someone else, I can just set their tally to however far along they are. I can't really make any guesses at the function of the other two variables until I see the whole thing work properly on another character.