Settings.lua changes won't take affect

Dragus

Settings.lua changes won't take affect

Post by Dragus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:08 am

Hello,

I've just built my own server and am trying to configure it, however no changes I make in the settings.lua file take place. For example I have every expansion set to 1, but only the first 4 light up. Characters don't run at the speeds I specify, really nothing is changing. I feel like I'm overlooking something simple, can anyone help?

Dragus

Re: Settings.lua changes won't take affect

Post by Dragus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:27 am

Just an update, I got the speed working by changing it in another file. in conf/map_darkstar file. I got the gil to work as well, but the expansions don't light up on the character select screen still? I've been on another private server that had them all lit up. Is that from something they did themselves or am I doing something wrong?

Delaide

Post by Delaide » Thu Oct 09, 2014 9:51 am

Go to your config\login_darkstar.conf file. At the bottom check here, where you see my 4094:
#Byte 2 - Vision of Abyssea to Seekers of Adoulin
#00000001 Bit0 - Enables Vision of Abyssea
#00000010 Bit1 - Enables Scars of Abyssea
#00000100 Bit2 - Enables Heroes of Abyssea
#00001000 Bit3 - Enables Seekers of Adoulin
#00010000 Bit4 - Not Used - Future expansion
#00100000 Bit5 - Not Used - Future expansion
#01000000 Bit6 - Not Used - Future expansion
#10000000 Bit7 - Not Used - Future expansion

expansions: 4094

#Server name (not longer than 15 characters)
servername: DarkStar

That 4094 lights them all up on the login page.

But remember, they will only work to the point that the content is entered into the server.
Also, to actually enable the expansions in the game, you need to go to darkstar\scripts\globals\settings.lua and toggle these to 1:
-- Enable Extension (1= yes 0= no)
ENABLE_COP = 1;
ENABLE_TOAU = 1;
ENABLE_WOTG = 1;
ENABLE_ACP = 1;
ENABLE_AMK = 1;
ENABLE_ASA = 1;
ENABLE_ABYSEA = 1;
ENABLE_SOA = 1;

If anything is not toggled to 1, then that expansion material will not work. Just remember that many things won't work anyways unless they are already created in the server files.

Vivitaru

Post by Vivitaru » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:22 am

Globals are loaded only once, if you have an updated version of the map server, you can use @reloadglobal settings to refresh the changes. Thanks to whoever implemented that, was very useful! :)

TeoTwawki
Developer

Post by TeoTwawki » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:22 am

That was me *flexes* :)
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS

Dragus

Post by Dragus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:26 am

Okay cool thanks, I have another question. I want to make my server public so friends can get on and play with me, do I have to change any other IP settings besides the query in the SQL database? I can still connect on my computer, but he can't connect on his. I forwarded all the ports listed in the tutorial as well. Do I have to change any IP settigns in the conf files?

Dragus

Post by Dragus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:46 am

Update:

I got him to connect through my local network using my internal IP address. Does that mean it's something to do with something being blocked?

Also, I have to use the cmd prompt with pol.exe everytime entering the ip everytime to get him on, is there a way to like save the ipaddress in it?

TeoTwawki
Developer

Post by TeoTwawki » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:33 pm

Dragus wrote:Update:

I got him to connect through my local network using my internal IP address. Does that mean it's something to do with something being blocked?
If he's connecting by your internal IP I would think he has to actually be on your lan. The way its supposed to officially work is if you want your server available outside your local area network you set the zone settings IP's to your external IP address (its reversed than made decimal) and use the hairpin hack for your own local connections. The conf IP's are for your server exe's to find your sql server instance, what ports they find each other on, stuff like that.

I have no idea how he connected to you via local lan IP if he's elsewhere, nor why your external IP wouldn't be working if you have that set correctly.
Also, I have to use the cmd prompt with pol.exe everytime entering the ip everytime to get him on, is there a way to like save the ipaddress in it?
Use Ashita v2 http://www.ffevo.net/topic/3466-readme- ... ashita-v2/

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding

Dragus

Post by Dragus » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:48 pm

His laptop is on the same network, he's right next to me. I can get it to work that way, but I'm trying to set it up to when he leaves and goes home he can still get on and play.

Yeah I can get it to work with ashita, but on my computer I did the cmd thing with the pol.exe and used the pol.exe with windower and it worked, but it won't work on his. I prefer to use windower if I can.

Thanks for the help!

TeoTwawki
Developer

Post by TeoTwawki » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:21 pm

See Hhen its set to the external IP local connections usually don't work (depends on the router really) unless you use the hairpin hack. So you tried to set it external, if he still on the local lan at that time it is likely why it didn't work. If he was at home at the time, then either the IPs set set wrong or there was a totally unrelated connection issue, like the good old client key error (multiple threads about it, do a search if curious) that happens from logging back in to soon after a disconnect or from corrupt/invalid positional data.

xiboot (the actual boot loader) doesn't save any connection info. Using windower instead of ashita involves renaming your real pol exe, replacing it, and then you have to undo that whenever you need to do a client update. I quit using it ages ago so I can't really help solve any probs with that. While neither app officially supports private servers, ashita has been generally friendlier to it in practice, working right "out of the box" without extra steps.