Best OS to install the server on?

Hoku

Best OS to install the server on?

Post by Hoku » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:39 pm

Hey Guys,

First time Admin, long time ff player.

What is the recommended OS to install the Server onto?

The reason I ask is because over the past month, I have installed Windows Server 2012 DataCenter Edition on my server and have installed the Darkstar Server. The server installs fine and I am able to start the instances with no issue. However, I do run into an issue with the client.

When I install Playonline, and then attempt to start it, I get an error referencing d3d10warp.dll. This dll is for Direct Play. It is not the current version and an older versions. I have attempted to updated it but the only way I was able to update this is to take ownership of the system32 folder. This ended up in hosing my system32 file where now the server just flickers at the log in and I cant do anything. So I will likely now need to reimage my server and start over.

Before I do this, I would like to know what OS you guys are running this on. I am basically trying to determine if the issue is due to windows server 2012 datacenter edition and if I need to install a version before this.

note: the reason I am installing the client directly on the server is because I am having network issues getting my desktop to talk with the server. Probably should have focused on this instead of playing with the system32 folder :).

Thanks guys!

whasf
Site Admin

Re: Best OS to install the server on?

Post by whasf » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:08 pm

I don't think you can install the client on server 2012, as you found out, directX isn't supported on the server OS. You should use Windows 7 or 10 for the client.
-- Whasf

Hoku

Re: Best OS to install the server on?

Post by Hoku » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Hey all,

So I was able to get this to finally work without receiving the d3d10warp.dll error on windows server 2012 datacenter.

The whole issue was the on board graphics. I have just a low end think server. Once I installed an old GPU and installed Catalyst Control Center it booted just fine.

I was able to determine that the d3d10warp.dll is used when playing older games.

If anyone else runs into this, try installing a GPU and updating the software.

Thank for the help!