Crash on release but not debug

Vivitaru

Crash on release but not debug

Post by Vivitaru » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:14 pm

I compiled a fresh build (x86) & database and it always crashes with release build but not debug. How can i pinpoint a crash when not in debug mode?

Delaide

Re: Crash on release but not debug

Post by Delaide » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:31 am

I have the same problem, so I just compile using debug default.
However, one thing I notice, the game server does not go to the root sarkstar directory when building via release. You can go to the win32 folder, the game folder, the release folder, and move the exe and .pdb out. Copy or cut and paste it in the darkstar folder. It requires some libraries it will not be able to find if you leave it in the release folder.

Vivitaru

Post by Vivitaru » Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Delaide wrote:I have the same problem, so I just compile using debug default.
However, one thing I notice, the game server does not go to the root sarkstar directory when building via release. You can go to the win32 folder, the game folder, the release folder, and move the exe and .pdb out. Copy or cut and paste it in the darkstar folder. It requires some libraries it will not be able to find if you leave it in the release folder.
I made a .batch file that automatically copies the release binary to my dsp folder. I've tried to follow steps from Microsoft to debug a release version but i always end up getting 'basepath cannot be relative' even by changing it to the /dsp root.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:55 pm

the "Command" property under Debugging in the solution properties was the cause for that

at any rate, I fixed both the crash and the compiling, so you should be able to debug release and run release without crashing

Vivitaru

Post by Vivitaru » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:49 pm

kjLotus wrote:the "Command" property under Debugging in the solution properties was the cause for that

at any rate, I fixed both the crash and the compiling, so you should be able to debug release and run release without crashing
Awesome, many thanks!