I think POL broke Darkstar w/newer installs (info now)

ethril

I think POL broke Darkstar w/newer installs (info now)

Post by ethril » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:46 am

I installed it on 3 friends computers, 2 friends installed on Saturday, they can connect just fine, everything was perfect. The other I just tried to install yesterday, he cannot connect ffxi boot just gives him a red error message and closes.
Playonline did an update yesterday "due to the discovery of a critical bug". People that have just installed the game can't get their clients to work. I'm wondering if the update made their files incompatible with Darkstar?

Or maybe I'm jumping to a wild conclusion by trying to make sense of this sense it worked before and then it doesn't work the next day when there is an update from POL's side.

Someone that just found out about the server is trying to join and his ffxi-boot keeps just disappearing when he tries to connect (It says unreadable data at the top because it password was too small originally, got that fixed now there just isn't an error anymore just a console that disappears):

Right now we're zipping up files that the POL Repair files process fixes and trying to make it a patch, got it to 3.07 gigs. But this is of course assuming the repair files update from POL is the problem.

Here is the exact message from POL:
The all Worlds maintenance, which was scheduled to occur on Dec. 10, 2012 from 9:00 to 11:00 (PST), has been postponed until further notice due to the discovery of a critical bug. We will provide an update once the new maintenance time is confirmed.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience.

[Date & Time]
To be announced

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XI
If the problem isn't POL's update, what could it be?

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Re: I think POL broke Darkstar w/newer installs (info now)

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:33 pm

My understanding of how FFXI-Boot and mXI work is that the client still tries to connect to ffxi00.pol.com and pp000.pol.com; the loader simply lies and tells the client that those servers are at 127.0.0.1 (your computer), and then handles the handshake instead of letting the client talk to the official servers. It's possible that SE changed the handshake somehow.

If you're familiar with hex editing, apparently the new loader used to connect to the test server can be altered to work with any server. That might be worth trying, to see if it also fails.

ethril

Post by ethril » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:49 pm

I did it, It worked just fine for me, I got on my server with Ashita Boot after I changed the ip with hex but when people with newer installs do it, they're getting the same problem. He tried to get on with the setting:

Code: Select all

<!--Determines if the launcher should auto-close when done launching.
      0 = Keep open after launching.
      1 = Close after launching.-->
  <setting name="auto_close">0</setting>

All it did was keep the console up, no errors and on the server it said he was connected until he manually exited out of the console. No errors, splash screen or anything.

ethril

Post by ethril » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:29 pm

He got in finally, said that he didn't install windows 7 play online first, so reinstalled the whole thing.

Also I hadn't updated the server yet, but everyone else could still get on, so I'm not sure if that was the issue.

It was r1996, now its r2088.

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:52 pm

That's quite a jump in revisions!
-- Whasf

ethril

Post by ethril » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:29 am

Yeah don't think I've ever followed a project that updates as fast as this one. Its impressive. Didn't expect I'd be that far behind! r2095 already too.