Send unreadable data

Zenman

Send unreadable data

Post by Zenman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:25 am

Hey all,

Did a quick search that seemed similar but didn't fit the profile entirely. See I did follow the instructions from the installation guide and I've had this up and running in the past. I recently installed FFXI and I once again, followed the instructions provided on the wikia guide, using the win7 pol installation followed by the ultimate collection iso.

The issue is every time I try to connect with FFXI-boot, or MX also provided in the guide, I get a log-in server message saying "Warning login_parse:(local_ip) send unreadable data" followed by info login_parse: (local_ip) shrutdown socket..."

Just wondering what a fix might be, thanks.

bluekirby0
Developer

Re: Send unreadable data

Post by bluekirby0 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Is the server on the same machine, the local network, or across the internet? If it isn't on the same machine, what os is the server running on? What revision is the server on and what version is the client?

Zenman

Post by Zenman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:55 pm

bluekirby0 wrote:Is the server on the same machine, the local network, or across the internet? If it isn't on the same machine, what os is the server running on? What revision is the server on and what version is the client?
Current setup is (zone_settings ipcalucation has been set on a local ip range, not wanip)

[game]->[router]->[server]

All ports are set, the OS is win XP SP3, Server is right before the revision 2740, not sure where to look for version number for the server. The game client itself is currently ver.30130123_2.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:37 pm

Hmm looks like you are up-to-date all around. Is there anything custom in your build that might have an effect on it? My best guess at this point is a blowfish issue. It may be caused by not copying the data folder from the playonline folder into the final fantasy XI folder.

If nothing is showing up in your game server window at all, I would double-check your zoneip setting (either calculate it by hand or use the web tool and input it BACKWARDS).

Zenman

Post by Zenman » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:06 pm

bluekirby0 wrote:Hmm looks like you are up-to-date all around. Is there anything custom in your build that might have an effect on it? My best guess at this point is a blowfish issue. It may be caused by not copying the data folder from the playonline folder into the final fantasy XI folder.

If nothing is showing up in your game server window at all, I would double-check your zoneip setting (either calculate it by hand or use the web tool and input it BACKWARDS).
Thanks for the tips, data has been copied over already, and I'll give the ipcalculator another try, maybe I'll use my wanip to see if that fixes the issue. Regardless I'll post if I find a solution.

EDIT:
Nothing, tried wanip, tried reversing the set of numbers and nothing, still getting the message send unreadable data. I had thought at one point it might be my firewall, but even after disabling them on both ends, the same message is given. As to the settings I had reverted and updated those files and made the modifications needed to connect to my database afterwards.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:01 pm

There is a rare issue in which uninstalling and then re-installing FFXI causes the game to install, update, and still fail to launch (affects both retail and private server use). If you are installing it on the same computer and haven't re-installed your OS since uninstalling FFXI, you may be a victim of that bug. I wish I knew how to fix it, but when I ran into it I just gave up and re-installed windows.

I don't remember the symptoms exactly at this point, unfortunately, but there are various posts on ffxi sites where people playing retail have run into that problem. You may want to look into that.

Zenman

Post by Zenman » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:42 am

bluekirby0 wrote:There is a rare issue in which uninstalling and then re-installing FFXI causes the game to install, update, and still fail to launch (affects both retail and private server use). If you are installing it on the same computer and haven't re-installed your OS since uninstalling FFXI, you may be a victim of that bug. I wish I knew how to fix it, but when I ran into it I just gave up and re-installed windows.

I don't remember the symptoms exactly at this point, unfortunately, but there are various posts on ffxi sites where people playing retail have run into that problem. You may want to look into that.
That could be the case, though this is a fresh cut of Windows 7. I have installed the game via ISO ultimate collection, would it be risky to uninstall and try a different cut, perhaps my Vana'Diel Collection 2007 via DVDs or can the steam version be hacked to work in this cases?

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:13 am

Zenman wrote:
bluekirby0 wrote:There is a rare issue in which uninstalling and then re-installing FFXI causes the game to install, update, and still fail to launch (affects both retail and private server use). If you are installing it on the same computer and haven't re-installed your OS since uninstalling FFXI, you may be a victim of that bug. I wish I knew how to fix it, but when I ran into it I just gave up and re-installed windows.

That could be the case, though this is a fresh cut of Windows 7. I have installed the game via ISO ultimate collection, would it be risky to uninstall and try a different cut, perhaps my Vana'Diel Collection 2007 via DVDs or can the steam version be hacked to work in this cases?
the steam version is no different than any other version, other than install path

Zenman

Post by Zenman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:19 pm

Trying the steam version, no luck and getting the same send unreadable data.

Zenman

Post by Zenman » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:47 pm

OK, here is what worked for me. Even though I don't recommend this and I'm sure most of you won't ether. A simple workaround for this was to remove the data check logic in login_auth.cpp in the DSConnect-server around line 95 to 106. Hope this information can help out however possible. Thanks for all your willingness to assist.