The New Retail Update Crashes Client Side

Forum rules
NO LONGER BEING MAINTAINED!
bluekirby0
Developer

Re: The New Retail Update Crashes Client Side

Post by bluekirby0 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:06 am

If we maintained backwards compatibility with previous client versions, the code would be a mess full of version checking and branching logic. That would add considerable overhead to it. When the fixes are in place, you will be required to update to the new client version or be stuck with the last svn version before that commit. There isn't really a practical way around that.

hakusho

Post by hakusho » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:31 am

That's what I've guessed. Just wanted to make sure. I'll hold off updating the server until everything is back to normal and then just update POL.

altalus

Post by altalus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:22 am

What I did was to do a copy of the "FINAL FANTASY XI" directory to another name ("FINAL FANTASY XI - DS") and updated. After the update I copied the patch.ver file from the "FINAL FANTASY XI" to the "FINAL FANTASY XI - DS" directory.

Then I can rename the updated "FINAL FANTASY XI" directory to "FINAL FANTASY XI - Retail" and the "FINAL FANTASY XI - DS" to "FINAL FANTASY XI" when I want to play the game.

I could do a small app to do that automatiquely too if needed. But the manual way works perfectly... if disk space is not an issue.

ethril

Post by ethril » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:36 am

So I've been using Flunklesnarkin's patch, which worked wonders until a player started in San d'oria. The guards are blank and don't give him missions, but everything else works. Notably FoV. The reason I point out that FoV works is because I had that player try to apply Death's solution from this post: http://forums.dspt.info/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=596

I read that he knows his method has problems, but wanted to point out that the San d'oria guards do work with Death's solution, so you can get missions, but FoV does not.

Vice-versa with Flunklesnarkin's patch. But have had no issues in either of the other nations. (At least not yet)

Have yet to try diminish's solution from said post.

basiah

Post by basiah » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:55 pm

idk but after trying multiple fixes, the server actually packet spammed me twice yesterday causing a very serious computer crash. It happened when I talked to the one of the blank npcs in Bastok. Be careful when messing around with these client changes guys.

Not sure if it was ffxiboot to blame or the server, but im very hesitant to mess around with this project any more lol.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:15 pm

This is just a very unfortunate time to be starting out. These problems occur rarely and are usually patched up much more quickly than this server-side.

FitzPatrick

Post by FitzPatrick » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:26 pm

OK here is 100% fix tested on 3 Computers( works for everyone regardless of new user or fresh install)

1) download the 22 files from snakes November backup https://www.dropbox.com/s/jo4nywfz7w65kzb/readme.txt
2) extract archived files (IF YOU HAVE GAME INSTALLED GO TO STEP 6)

3) Install Game
4) Backup your FFXI folder(Recommended but it does take a while)
5) Merge FFXI Folder with the sakes Backup FFXI folder replacing files. DO NOT DELETE AND PASTE IN(this updates you to just before last update but wont run without taking it online to get your .ver)

~~~~~For Users working from already installed~~~~~
6) Update POL to newest version
7) Download July FFXI Update http://tehkrizz.net/FFXI/downloads.php
8) Extract July Update and Merge with FFXI Folder replacing files (Except for Patch.ver)
9) merge rom, rom2, rom3, rom4, rom5 from Snakes FFXI Backup with your FFXI folder

im sorry its not more streamlined, i tried to make shorter but i didn't have space on my drop box to upload compressed files, so you have to download all of it ... if someone would please shorten the steps by uploading the files that would be awesome.

THANKS TO SNAKE, FLUNKLESNARKEN, AND DEATH FOR ALL THERE HARD WORK ON THIS
Last edited by FitzPatrick on Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SnakekillerX

Post by SnakekillerX » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:23 pm

I've updated the readme with updated instructions. I don't think I'll be re-uploading files for ROMs 1-5 though as its already included with the full install anyway and it only saves about 2 gigs for space people who have already updated. (5.1GB instead of 3.1GB)
You get the full benefit however if you are just installing fresh as the full patch will skip the majority of the POL update time. (about 9 hours of it)

JFleshman

Post by JFleshman » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:24 pm

While downloading the 22 parts, the Dropbox account exceeded the bandwidth limit of whatever grade account it's hosted on. All links now meet with a screen stating the following:

Error (509)
This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

Is there an alternate site or torrent that has the pre-update client? The client uploaded by CaelThunderwing on Mediafire for the post at http://forums.dspt.info/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=596 is also down stating that the uploader would have to upgrade his account for a large split archive to be downloaded.

Ayame

Post by Ayame » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:35 am

Woot i think we can play ffxi with the ver 30121205_4 update! thank you dia and everyone who put there time and effort into this project ^^ Revision:r2181