BST Pets Auto-engage is Incorrect

Forum rules
NO LONGER BEING MAINTAINED!
Flunklesnarkin

BST Pets Auto-engage is Incorrect

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:07 pm

The way bst pets are suppose to work are they remain idle until the beastmaster uses the pet command "Fight" to make the pet start combat.

Currently a charmed bst pet (and possibly jug pets too) will automatically start fighting as soon as you start combat with a monster, also if a monster attacks you it will begin fighting similar to how a summoner pet works.

Bst and Summoner pets did not function the same on retail ffxi.

http://bugs.dspt.info/show_bug.cgi?id=376

I put a bug report in but I guess I could add in some supporting evidence.

lautan
Developer

Re: BST Pets Auto-engage is Incorrect

Post by lautan » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:18 pm

This only happens on charmed pets.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:16 am

DRG's wyvern will auto-engage as soon as you do. I know on the melee side, retail behavior required you to actually hit the monster first. It's been too long for me to be an accurate source beyond that, though. It might ignore the target entirely unless your weapon is drawn.

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:23 pm

I don't think you have to hit first on a drg, I remember a few times on retail my first hit missing and my wyvern pulling hate and getting pwnt.

Here is the pet page off FFXIclopedia dated Nov 2, 2007. I could look farther back but this is a pre-abyssea capture and that is my major concern.

http://web.archive.org/web/200711021001 ... g/wiki/Pet

That page describes summoner pets automatically defending the summoner if they are targeted.

It doesn't mention anything about bst pets except they are commanded by the pet command abilities. That is what I am saying in regards to bst pets, they won't take any actions without a specific command from the player. This allows for some play strategies that differ from summoner. I played both smn and bst on retail before abyssea hit so I can provide anecdotal evidence to that affect but I'm sure looking through the various player strategy pages there would be more supporting anecdotes.

Also, that page describes wyverns as auto engaging / disengaging when the player starts combat. I haven't tested drg out yet, I just unlocked it but it's still level 1. The way you describe wyvern actions is correct though. The wyvern would not automatically come to your aide either. It just mimics your action. If you are fighting, it is fighting. If you are not fighting, it is not fighting.

I do think there was some sort of hate list check though. Like you couldn't go into combat mode outside of aggro distance and have your wyvern go ahead of you. You had to make a swing whether it landed or not didn't matter.

PrBlahBlahtson
Developer

Post by PrBlahBlahtson » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Let me rephrase then. You have to walk up and take a swing at the mob, the wyvern doesn't engage if you just draw your weapon. I'm not sure about behavior with Jumps and spells, which is why I gave myself a disclaimer. I want to say swinging at the mob is the only way, and the wyvern disengages if you do.

SMN pets will absolutely respond to aggro, unless they've been specifically ordered to Retreat. It makes it hard to use Sleepga on Shiva and Nightmare on Diabolos. :) There's also a Shinigami pop method that relies on that response behavior; have Carby up, start to cast Cure before you move, Shini aggros, Carby smacks Shini, you've got claim.