A few questions

bluekirby0
Developer

Re: A few questions

Post by bluekirby0 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:56 am

SS has a lot of modifications that make it difficult to keep synchronized with Darkstar, and the last time I checked their code was not publicly available, so while you could make modifications to the Darkstar code and submit them the usual way, it may take a long time for them to show up on SS due to the very involved update process they have to go through in order to keep the custom content and bring the server up to date with our version.

The kind of work it would take to consistently keep SS up-to-date with our code would require one or two paid programmers to work on full-time because of how rapidly our versions change, and how drastic some of the mechanics changes can be.

Kalmado

Post by Kalmado » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:39 am

Yesterday I tested WS mods and sure enough there was a 12.3% increase from stacking straight Attack instead of the true Mod(used a dex based WS). I was told yesterday we're looking to get more in line with DSP, but it's a process and will take time. Like I said, cool community and free play so I'm good. :)

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:52 am

Kalmado wrote:Yesterday I tested WS mods and sure enough there was a 12.3% increase from stacking straight Attack instead of the true Mod(used a dex based WS). I was told yesterday we're looking to get more in line with DSP, but it's a process and will take time. Like I said, cool community and free play so I'm good. :)
this will entirely depend on what you're attacking and how much attack vs dex you have

and what WS you're using

and how lucky you are (12.3%? over how many weaponskills? are you reading some kind of output or just using weaponskills and recording numbers? )

Kalmado

Post by Kalmado » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:52 am

kjLotus wrote:
Kalmado wrote:Yesterday I tested WS mods and sure enough there was a 12.3% increase from stacking straight Attack instead of the true Mod(used a dex based WS). I was told yesterday we're looking to get more in line with DSP, but it's a process and will take time. Like I said, cool community and free play so I'm good. :)
this will entirely depend on what you're attacking and how much attack vs dex you have

and what WS you're using

and how lucky you are (12.3%? over how many weaponskills? are you reading some kind of output or just using weaponskills and recording numbers? )
I did a very small sample size, but plan to test again as I forgot to use food for my Attack parse. Mobs were Ebony Puddings and Trolls in Mount Z. Job was Nin/Dnc(could use Nin/War next time for the Attack round). Food used for test using WS mods was Sole Sushi. As stated, forgot food for 2nd phase. WS used was Blade: Metsu(only DEX for WS mod). Parser used for all testing is Kparser. Very reliable.

WS Mod gear (Attack: 424, STR+47, DEX+63)
<set name="Dex">
<main>Kikoku</main>
<sub>Machismo</main> (server special weapon: +10str/dex, +25acc/att)
<ammo>Bomb Core</ammo>
<head>Gnadbhod's Helm</head>
<neck>Spike Necklace</neck>
<lear>Brutal Earring</lear>
<rear>Pixie Earring</rear>
<body>Usukane Haramaki</body>
<hands>Nin. Tekko +1</hands>
<lring>Rajas Ring</lring>
<rring>Sniper's Ring</rring>
<back>Cerb. Mantle +1</back>
<waist>Swordbelt +1</waist>
<legs>Byakko's Haidate</legs>
<feet>Enkidu's Leggings</feet>
</set>

WS using only Attack (Attack: 481, STR+45, DEX+16)
<main>Kikoku</main>
<sub>Machismo</sub>
<ammo></ammo>
<head>Gnadbhod's Helm</head>
<neck>Justice Torque</neck>
<lear>Brutal Earring</lear>
<rear>Spike Earring</rear>
<body>Byrnie +1</body>
<hands>Ochimusha Kote</hands>
<lring>Rajas Ring</lring>
<rring>Sniper's Ring</rring>
<back>Cerb. Mantle +1</back>
<waist>Swordbelt +1</waist>
<legs>Hachiryu Haidate</legs>
<feet>Usukane Sune-Ate</feet>
</set>

Parse using WS Mods gear (WS low: 532, WS high: 1017, Average: 731)
ws mods.jpg
Parse using Attack gear (WS low: 687, WS high 1133, Average: 821)
ws att.jpg

Kalmado

Post by Kalmado » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:53 am

I did another 30 minute test today using food and a more consistent mob. For my enemy I used Boulder Eater, level 100-103. Nin/Dnc. Only Blade: Metsu again. Food during mods parse was Sole Sushi again. Food for Att parse was Red Curry Bun. Same gear as listed above. The parse shows Attack being heavily favored.

Percentage showing how much more Attack did than WS mod: Low WS: 38.25% High WS: 29.39% Average WS: 41.95%

WS Mod gear (Attack: 424, STR+47, DEX+63)
Low: 604 High: 1014 Average: 789
ws mods 2-23-13.jpg
Att Mod gear (Attack: 601, STR+52, DEX+16)
Low: 835 High: 1312 Average: 1120
att mod 2-23-13.jpg

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:14 pm

and your expected output is what? did you calculate it? do you know more than "i don't think it's right"?

200 attack is a huge difference, especially since blade: metsu does not have an attack bonus parameter

Kalmado

Post by Kalmado » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:39 pm

kjLotus wrote:and your expected output is what? did you calculate it? do you know more than "i don't think it's right"?

200 attack is a huge difference, especially since blade: metsu does not have an attack bonus parameter
No expected output. The percentages listed is the calculation. What I know, because it's common sense, using WS mods should boost damage. Yes so does attack, but it shouldn't bury a mod heavy set.

This is a mechanic of Sinister Skies as it's obvious and confirms what the players that have been there for a long time have already said. All WS's benefit from Attack and not from their actual mod. I also learned today that all Blu spells on our server only benefit from MaB and nothing else. Once(if) our server converts to DSP I'll reparse. Thank you everyone for the comments.

Ayame

Post by Ayame » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:53 am

kalmado you should join the ds test server it will always have the latest update and fixes with that said you will enjoy the game a lot more than playing on a server that's outdated.