Advancement

For discussions on the public old-school server
Maffers7087

Advancement

Post by Maffers7087 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:58 pm

So I noticed that several people have higher levels on this server. I am wondering how everyone was able to make gil to buy the gear they need in order to advance to the next level. The Auction house is pretty dead, I have been NPcing much of my drops to get the gil I need to buy gear and spells off other NPCs. But I am still finding extremely hard to make the gil I need to afford the raising prices from the NPCs. If anyone would be kind enough to inform me on items that sell for a good amount or different methods of making gil. I would help me out alot. I am not looking for your top money making secrets, I just need a little guidance if anyone is willing to help.

Thank you for your time

echoes

Re: Advancement

Post by echoes » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Speaking for myself, there was literally no gear and few players (none at 75) when I started, I was very much on my own. Not even crystals sold on AH because there was no one to sell to. However back then, FOV *always* gave you gil every time you completed a page, so spells were affordable.

I would say right now, dual boxing a second character, preferably a melee, would be a significant help. This will effectively give you double FOV rewards which is the main source of gil. You can also try and sell crystals, earth used to sell particularly well when there were three of us fighting over tiny server stock of them. It is also very worth hunting spells and gear whenever possible instead of trying to buy them all, actually it will be the way you are forced to play at higher levels.

As for gear, I leveled Samurai to 75 with almost all CP gear from level 40, and dual boxed White Mage to 75 with no subjob, completely naked, and only AF hammer. Optimal gear from retail is going to be very difficult to obtain here because it typically just isn't readily available. What's most important is that you have a decent weapon to level up with and a source of healing. Again, dual boxing is a big help here.

With that said, you can always ask for help. Everyone works together here, going it alone will not get very far. This was very true for FFXI back in retail days too. We'll help you get items and spells; just the other day Brutality was giving away free Scorpion Harness. You can always ask if anyone is up for EXP party to help you get a boost in levels and power.