Lower it to retail speed
56%
Keep it the way it is
44%

Total votes: 18

inu

Re: Change movement speed?

Post by inu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Wasn't there always an option to change the movement speed in the server settings?
I was assuming 1.0 was retail speed, and honestly it's just very confusing that it's not. Even if it's changed to retail speed (which is the whole point of the default project right? get to as close to retail as possible) it's easy to just tweak it back to "slightly faster" with that option, so not a problem there.

DarkSlayerEX

Post by DarkSlayerEX » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:54 pm

iamnotalolicon - You're right, it should be clear. but there are definately lots of things that aren't classic, that aren't mentioned either. Should the classic server NOT have FoV? if not, partying would be very difficult, as there aren't always high numbers of players that DO want to level. Lots of the features the server has that isn't classic, is almost mandatory in order to actually get anything done on a server with such a low number of players.

iamnotalolicon

Post by iamnotalolicon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:07 pm

DarkSlayerEX wrote:iamnotalolicon - You're right, it should be clear. but there are definately lots of things that aren't classic, that aren't mentioned either. Should the classic server NOT have FoV? if not, partying would be very difficult, as there aren't always high numbers of players that DO want to level. Lots of the features the server has that isn't classic, is almost mandatory in order to actually get anything done on a server with such a low number of players.
I disagree that these custom tweaks are "almost mandatory". Again, my friends and I joined expecting classic, so the more we see of custom tweaks the more disappointing it is. That's why I would like the non-classic things to be mentioned, so we would know what we're getting into instead of playing and having to find out the unmentioned ourselves. Which is not good on something advertised as an old-school classic server.

SnakekillerX

Post by SnakekillerX » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:10 pm

Agreed, whasf should just put player run speed increased next to teleport moogles :P
As well as FoV? what is even considered classic? its hard to tell anymore. Guess it depends when we started playing.
For me it was back the day it came out on PS2.

iamnotalolicon

Post by iamnotalolicon » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:19 pm

Not at all. Another thread was made about movement speed where myself and one other user replied, and shortly after a poll was put up.

SnakekillerX

Post by SnakekillerX » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:32 pm

See, I'd be ok with monsters being the same rate as players. I don't feel like I'm running at half the speed all of a sudden this way.
I've been playing pretty much every day since I started some months back and I just don't know if I could handle it.
Increasing monster speed (which they tried to do but was buggy) is the best option to satisfy the majority from both sides.

1) I don't have to run any slower
2) you can still be afraid of monsters aggroing/linking you

if the arguement however is just that running slower is better and more like classic, than I have to say that this is a petty arguement, and to just press the "walk" button on your keyboard.

DarkSlayerEX

Post by DarkSlayerEX » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:43 pm

SnakekillerX wrote:See, I'd be ok with monsters being the same rate as players. I don't feel like I'm running at half the speed all of a sudden this way.
I've been playing pretty much every day since I started some months back and I just don't know if I could handle it.
Increasing monster speed (which they tried to do but was buggy) is the best option to satisfy the majority from both sides.

1) I don't have to run any slower
2) you can still be afraid of monsters aggroing/linking you

if the arguement however is just that like running slower is better and more like classic, than I have to say that this is a petty arguement, and to just press the "walk" button on your keyboard.
I agree with this entirely. I believe I'm the one that discovered and reported the problem with the mob run speed increase bugginess. They disabled it temporarily until it's fixed, as it caused them to teleport to us and we could never outrun it, even if our run speed was slightly higher than theirs. Once the mob speed problems are fixed, it would just be the same as retail.. except it takes a little less time to travel... I think everyone could be happy once that gets fixed.

SnakekillerX

Post by SnakekillerX » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 pm

I could probably get a couple more votes against the change but probably not by the time the poll ends.
The poll should have let us be more specific. Though I doubt this it was anticipated that there would be this much debate. But the poll could have been like.. how much do you care if the speed is reverted back to classic speed?

-4 (I love the faster speeds and I won't play with this change)
-3 (I love the faster speeds but I'll still play regardless)
-2 (I enjoy the faster speed and think it is better)
-1 (Eh, It might be nice to run a bit faster speeds I guess)
0 (Could go either way, Don't care)
1 (Eh, It might be nice to have classic speeds I guess)
2 (I enjoyed the classic speed ok and think it is better)
3 (I very much wan't classic speed back but I'll still play regardless)
4 (I very much wan't classic speed back and won't play without it)

*Also* a note stating that as is currently, the speed is faster than normal for players, and classic for monsters, so there is no confusion on what you are voting on hehe.

(trying to be as unbias as possible)

I fully acknowledge the right and the reason to why this was brought up originally.
Server is called classic server, was meant to be classic and there was nothing stating that the run speed would be faster on the wiki.

I just don't like the 50% gimp in my movement speed after having played for so long the way it is and same with alot of others.

Flunklesnarkin

Post by Flunklesnarkin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:41 pm

You grow accustomed to the slower movement speed. It adds challenge to the game.

The sense of risk versus reward before attacking something becomes much greater and enhances a gaming experience imo.

FitzPatrick

Post by FitzPatrick » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:49 pm

hanzo, orion and myself all did not get a chance to vote ... and would prefer the current speed.

the server is to small we don't have whms to tele or riase or blms 2 warp II
our population peaks at like 20... including multi-boxers

if you want to complain about the non classic of the run how about it changes when the server has all the support it needs ... i mean without people its a pain but there are some serious issues that need to be resolved as far as im concerned its the run speed is the only thing this server has going for it till i can

skill up with lightening crystalls
buy from all npcs
get AF items
might as well make the low levels more tolerable with run speed bonus till we can actually do the stuff we need for mid-high levels