Full server experience on Raspberry pi?

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
atom0s
Developer

Re: Full server experience on Raspberry pi?

Post by atom0s » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:18 pm

You can look into the http://rt7lite.com/ project for creating a very slim and custom install of Win7.
(their site is down for maintenance at the moment)

inu

Post by inu » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:52 pm

I'll give it a look later then. :)

inu

Post by inu » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:19 am

Also, I know this is a minor thing, and maybe this is not the best place, but as soon as I got the server working, noticed that Stone is using 9MB instead of 4MP. :P

whitevamp

Post by whitevamp » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:44 am

might take a look at http://puppylinux.com/
its about 100-170M

inu

Post by inu » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:04 am

I did work a little bit with puppy before, but think it didn't like the virtual machine environment so much from what I can remember.
One more thing to check. :)

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:42 am

1) using debian netinst with nothing checked in the last step of install gives you a very lightweight environment without added hassle
2) DSP will currently not compile on any platform other than x86 despite efforts to fix that
3) You will require enough RAM for both dsp AND mysql so take that into consideration in your plans.
4) On the other hand I have successfully run a server on a Pentium 3 generation Celeron at 800 mHz with 768 MB of PC133 SDRAM with only 1-3 players at a time on it.

idlemind

Post by idlemind » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:19 am

For a small footprint server maybe an Intel NUC would be a better choice given the requirements posted in the thread so far.

inu

Post by inu » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:33 am

idlemind wrote:For a small footprint server maybe an Intel NUC would be a better choice given the requirements posted in the thread so far.
Yeah, I've considered the options with the good feedback received on this, and, for now, it's not really worth invest on a dedicated machine. At least until the project is able to be used on a cheap ARM SoC, between other things.

The Intel NUCs are outrageously expensive for what they are honestly, you can buy a laptop for that much, plus they still have fans\make noise, so that's unfortunately also not an option.

Tom_Neverwinter

Post by Tom_Neverwinter » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:30 pm

how about a raspberry pi cluster? You can also overclock a raspberry pi, but you should probably buy the heat-sinks for it if you do overclock.

idlemind

Post by idlemind » Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:53 pm

Tom_Neverwinter wrote:how about a raspberry pi cluster? You can also overclock a raspberry pi, but you should probably buy the heat-sinks for it if you do overclock.
You still hit the ARM compilation issues. If you can get around that you are in a better place.

Since this post caught my attention I thought I would look at anything cheaper / smaller than an Intel NUC and I stumbled on this little devil.

http://www.minnowboard.org/meet-minnowboard-max/

Seems like that might do the trick. Still it doesn't meet the really low price point of the Pi but it gets better energy efficiency than buying an old laptop or desktop and running that as a server.

All of that said, AWS instances might be a far more cost effective platform when you look at the cost of electricity and the extremely higher rate of responsiveness you get with the connectivity and hardware. Plus AWS will give you a free instance for 1 year.