Full server experience on Raspberry pi?

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
nasomi

Re: Full server experience on Raspberry pi?

Post by nasomi » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:43 pm

I think you will run into some issues with cpu usage as well. My backup server is a single xeon 5130 dual core, and with 60 players online it's using 90% cpu and 500mb ram.

nonymousj

Post by nonymousj » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:15 pm

Has anyone made any progress on compiling in ARM? I'm considering getting a raspberry pi 2 to use for the game server if I can free up time to start trying to compile the code. DSsearch will compile on a RPi model B as well as manage a decent MYSQL database. If I can get the ZMQ library issue on DSConnect resolved I can try to further compile that for the model B as well. I have a feeling DSGame will take me a while longer to work through if at all. I mostly want the game for nostalgic reasons, So I can leave a character somewhere and put the monitor on the wall to be a window into a world I once walked with friends and family. Anyone have an opinion on if it's worth trying to port?

Raspi 2 quard core Armv7 @ 900Mhz (can be overlocked if needed) will run ubuntu 10.04, 1 GB RAM

ALso: can anyone suggest a good post about starting working on some of the unimplemented aspects of the game? chocobo raising would be my main interest.

my current server has the model B running my SQL database and the apps running in an Ubuntu VM on my old mac mini... I need to build a signature someday...

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:02 pm

-- Whasf

Totien

Post by Totien » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:41 pm

I've made a bit of progress getting this to run on the Pi. Based on the comments in this thread, I may be at a dead end though..

I'm using a distro for the Raspberry Pi 2 meant for emulating old game consoles called RetroPie. I have it fully overclocked and haven't had any issues playing ps1 or n64 emulators. RetroPie is Debian based, so I figured I'd have a shot at it working. It took me a while to figure out how to get gcc 4.9 etc. installed, but once I got around that, I was met with the following error:

Code: Select all

g++ -std=c++1y -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I./src/common      -DdsUDPSERV   -I/usr//include/luajit-2.0   -I/usr/include/mysql -DBIG_JOINS=1  -fno-strict-aliasing   -g  -g -O2 -MT dsgame-message.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/dsgame-message.Tpo -c -o dsgame-message.o `test -f 'src/map/message.cpp' || echo './'`src/map/message.cpp
src/map/message.cpp:44:20: error: no matching function for call to ‘zmq::context_t::context_t()’
     zmq::context_t zContext;
                    ^
src/map/message.cpp:44:20: note: candidates are:
In file included from src/map/message.h:27:0,
                 from src/map/message.cpp:27:
/usr/include/zmq.hpp:284:9: note: zmq::context_t::context_t(const zmq::context_t&)
         context_t (const context_t&);
         ^
/usr/include/zmq.hpp:284:9: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 0 provided
/usr/include/zmq.hpp:247:16: note: zmq::context_t::context_t(zmq::context_t&&)
         inline context_t (context_t &&rhs) : ptr (rhs.ptr)
                ^
/usr/include/zmq.hpp:247:16: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 0 provided
/usr/include/zmq.hpp:239:25: note: zmq::context_t::context_t(int)
         inline explicit context_t (int io_threads_)
                         ^
/usr/include/zmq.hpp:239:25: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 0 provided
Makefile:2331: recipe for target 'dsgame-message.o' failed
make: *** [dsgame-message.o] Error 1
That goes well beyond my ability to troubleshoot on my own, and the Googles are not helping. So here I am, hoping someone can help. It'd be pretty neat to have a handheld game system that doubles as a FFXI server.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:25 pm

that just means the version of ZMQ you got is not the right version - I think you need 3 and have 1 (or the other way around..)

either way, if you can't get the right one with your package manager you can compile it yourself

Totien

Post by Totien » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:35 pm

Well, that made a bit more progress. I think I still have the wrong version of zmq though. I found here the proper command to get zmq, but I can't seem to download 3.2 and I'm not experienced enough to compile from source on my own. A brief step-by-step would be immensely appreciated.

In order to download the 3.2 version, I have to change jessie to wheezy in /etc/apt/sources.list, then apt-get update. If I do that though, no package is found. Leaving /etc/apt/sources.list set to jessie will work, but it downloads version 4.0 which is giving me different errors.

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:13 pm

don't be scared of compiling it yourself, you have to learn those things if you are using unix ;)

Totien

Post by Totien » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:26 pm

Alrighty. I fucked up my entire distro and had to redo the image, but I'm caught back up on the DS emulator, and I'll worry about the retro games later.

So I found and compiled from source zmq 3.2.2, then I had to cp zmq.cpp /usr/include as I found here.

I've now compiled and installed zmq 3.2.2, 3.2.3, and 3.2.4, and all are failing with the following error:

Code: Select all

g++ -std=c++1y -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I./src/common      -DdsUDPSERV   -I/usr//include/luajit-2.0   -I/usr/include/mysql -DBIG_JOINS=1  -fno-strict-aliasing   -g  -g -O2 -MT dsgame-alliance.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/dsgame-alliance.Tpo -c -o dsgame-alliance.o `test -f 'src/map/alliance.cpp' || echo './'`src/map/alliance.cpp
In file included from src/map/message.h:27:0,
                 from src/map/alliance.cpp:36:
/usr/include/zmq.hpp: In member function ‘void zmq::context_t::close()’:
/usr/include/zmq.hpp:387:43: error: ‘zmq_ctx_shutdown’ was not declared in this scope
             int rc = zmq_ctx_shutdown (ptr);
                                           ^
Makefile:2275: recipe for target 'dsgame-alliance.o' failed
make: *** [dsgame-alliance.o] Error 1

kjLotus
Special Guest

Post by kjLotus » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:19 pm

okay, this is 100% my bad, sorry:

apparently the package "libzmq3" is zmq 4.0.4 (at least according to my zmq.h), and it does also require the cpp binding (which should come with libzmq3-dev)

Totien

Post by Totien » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:02 am

Ok, I'll give it a shot in the morning. I'm pretty sure the /use/include/zmq.hpp file from my previous post will take care of the cpp binding.

I took a look at the makefile, and I am nowhere near done compiling so here's hoping this is the last issue I'll have. All the other requirements to build went in place without a problem. I had to get two extra packages to run add-apt-repository though. software-properties-common and python-software-properties iirc. Other than that, zmq has been the only trouble I've had.