data add

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
geanux

data add

Post by geanux » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:53 am

I have a question... In order to officially link all Npc or mission data correctly. I would need to get a hold of the official packets correct.. then i would have to program them by scripting the missions, quests, etc. Ive notice that when running dark star there are several elements missing, I guess my main question is. Is it even possible to add cop missions that don't currently work or even some quest and re implement them. if so how? would I need to add a new source code into map server, and script the mission in lua?

atom0s
Developer

Re: data add

Post by atom0s » Mon Jul 21, 2014 1:34 pm

Mission / quest data is all done through Lua via cutscene ids, cutscene params, as well as player variables stored to the database.

Nothing needs to be touched inside the core of DSP to script a missing mission or quest. (Unless of course that mission or quest has some specific mechanic that is not yet implemented into DSP.)

geanux

Post by geanux » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:13 pm

I c, well that helps solve that issue.I was unsure how far dsp supports the following expansions, by what I understood there were just a few things that were not fully implemented. I guess that is where you would need the official packets to put into dsp core. I wonder if there will be any planing on integrating mythic weapons and salvage.. Anyway, so as far as understanding quests and missions all of that can be added in within lua and database, ight :)

atom0s
Developer

Post by atom0s » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:02 am

geanux wrote:I c, well that helps solve that issue.I was unsure how far dsp supports the following expansions, by what I understood there were just a few things that were not fully implemented. I guess that is where you would need the official packets to put into dsp core. I wonder if there will be any planing on integrating mythic weapons and salvage.. Anyway, so as far as understanding quests and missions all of that can be added in within lua and database, ight :)
DSP's main focus is getting the server upto and including Chains of Promothia working like retail did/does. Most of which is done and working, with some minor issues here and there.
Content that is past CoP is not really maintained or worked on at any specific rate or with any specific team. Anyone that commits this or submits a pull request is welcome to, but it is not the main focus of the core server at the moment.

We have (nearly) every packet decrypted, "documented" and in place inside of DSP, with some minor exceptions. There are a few packets that were recently updated and changed that are not fully redone in DSP yet though. And there are still a few packets left that are not fully done or fully implemented.

Content information is what matters most from retail that has to be collected. Which includes things like:
- Cutscene ids when talking to an npc.
- Cutscene options when interacting with an event etc.
- NPC information that involves logging some spawn packets, entity update packets, etc.

And similar.

Salvage and Mythics are not a focus of the project, however kjLotus has been working on the instance system to get things like assaults working. Once that does work, Salvage can be implemented in some manner too.

Signature

Post by Signature » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:52 am

atom0s wrote:
We have (nearly) every packet decrypted, "documented" and in place inside of DSP, with some minor exceptions.

Chocobo raising, and ability to summon your own choco. Please! :) Or a partial debug implementation of it.... I want to ride a Red Chocobo like it was 2003!

geanux

Post by geanux » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:08 am

I thank u for this information.. the guides are a great help also.. but if you are messing with the content data what tools are needed besides a hex editor.? What I mean is to match content ID from retail dat..would u need to extract it..

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:18 am

You really don't need a hex editor at all with the available tools. AutoEventID can generate the valid event ids for a given npc in a zone...pair that with the @cs gm command and you can test events until you find the right one. Otherwise just look at the quest writing tutorial for a fair primer on adding content.

geanux

Post by geanux » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:43 am

you guys on darkstar dont mess around when it comes to making server setup easy... in the past i have setup the following servers.. silkroad, helbreath, linageII, etc. never in a million years would I think 11 would be this simplified without having to edit the C++ source.. I value this teams hard work.

bluekirby0
Developer

Post by bluekirby0 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:16 pm

Easier setup for users means less time spent trying to explain to people how to do it and more time spent coding.

geanux

Post by geanux » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:16 pm

Makes perfect sense.