Lots of noob questions on private server

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
Lothiriel

Lots of noob questions on private server

Post by Lothiriel » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:31 pm

I set up a server to play solo (server + client on same PC) and I have a lot of questions - it's hard to find a good source of info on google. If anyone has any links I would appreciate it, or if someone could answer some of these questions. Thanks!

(1) When starting up the server, the "loading zones..." step takes a LONG time, like 15+ minutes - is there a way to speed this up?
(2) I assume any modifications that aren't in the map_darkstar.conf or settings.lua file require a recompile to take effect, is that true?
(3) If I recompile the source code, do I have to re-link the database or does that stick?
(4) If I recompile the source code and create new .exe files, will character data be erased/reset? If so, how do I prevent that?
(5) How can I set it up so there are no limits on how many crafts a character can level? (i.e. if I want to get 100 on every craft on one character)
(6) Where do I mess with NM pop rates?

whasf
Site Admin

Re: Lots of noob questions on private server

Post by whasf » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 pm

Lothiriel wrote:I set up a server to play solo (server + client on same PC) and I have a lot of questions - it's hard to find a good source of info on google. If anyone has any links I would appreciate it, or if someone could answer some of these questions. Thanks!

(1) When starting up the server, the "loading zones..." step takes a LONG time, like 15+ minutes - is there a way to speed this up?
Compile it in release mode and/or don't use the navmeshes
Lothiriel wrote:(2) I assume any modifications that aren't in the map_darkstar.conf or settings.lua file require a recompile to take effect, is that true?
Not necessarily, some scripts don't
Lothiriel wrote:(3) If I recompile the source code, do I have to re-link the database or does that stick?
Source code has nothing to do with the database, so the answer is no
Lothiriel wrote:(4) If I recompile the source code and create new .exe files, will character data be erased/reset? If so, how do I prevent that?
No
Lothiriel wrote:(5) How can I set it up so there are no limits on how many crafts a character can level? (i.e. if I want to get 100 on every craft on one character)
No idea, I think it's db changes
Lothiriel wrote: (6) Where do I mess with NM pop rates?
Depends on the NM. Either their script or mob_pools table
-- Whasf

Lothiriel

Post by Lothiriel » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:12 pm

Thanks for the answers! Is this the best place to ask questions or is there a more active forum somewhere?

Switching to release mode made the server start up in 3 minutes instead of 10 so that's awesome. How do you turn off navmeshes?

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:53 pm

Just delete the "navmeshes" folder, then restart the server
Our discord is available for more immediate help: https://discord.gg/4dgAzfC
-- Whasf