Fixing broken NPC names

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
Crosine

Fixing broken NPC names

Post by Crosine » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:24 am

Hi again everyone!

Was wondering if someone could walk me through the process of fixing relocated npc's so their names display correctly. Be gentle I'm just starting out! :lol: Need to know what tools I would need and how to properly use them to get the new IDs out of my updated client and then be able to change them in my .sql file to make testing/building quests easier to locate and configure. You guys are doing an awesome job and I look forward to learning more so I can contribute more!

P.S. I tried to use POLUtils and for some weird reason it only is looking for images instead of the actual ID data. Thanks!

TeoTwawki
Developer

Re: Fixing broken NPC names

Post by TeoTwawki » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:23 pm

Polutils is poorly maintained these days. The official one hosted on googlecode is broken in half a dozen ways and hasn't seen an update to fix anything in a long time. The one hosted on gihub is maintained by the windower folks and should mostly work.

I made a few fixes to it myself which are hopefully in the current trunk there and haven't been re-broken by updates. If npc/mob display for zones off that version aren't working let me know and I'll fork+fix.

Once you have a working polutils you just have to convert the IDs using one of the NPC ID tools. There are 2 of them, the newer one was made because there were supposedly issues with the original one spitting out wrong IDs but I'd had problems with the newer one, so good idea to have both on hand. Which reminds me, I need to go report that bug to its author...

Here is the link to the newer one:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1863

And the old one:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1649
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS

Crosine

Post by Crosine » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:42 pm

So realistically I have to have a working POLUtils to be able to locate the new ID's to be used with the NPC ID tools. bummer... Now lets say that the npc id's are in fact correct and its the zone id thats the issue for that particular NPC data. Theoretically I should be able to locate a NPC that is displaying correctly in that zone and use the same zone id for the broken one yes?

I haven't moved to much out of the main starting area but there are a couple in southern san d'oria that are incorrect, and quite a few in west ronfaure that are in their proper spawn locations but the names are "NPC" or "Moogle" for example. If you need in game positions let me know and I can get them for you. Thanks again man! 8-)

TeoTwawki
Developer

Post by TeoTwawki » Sat Sep 27, 2014 8:55 am

That or capture the info from retail, which I've not done so I can't help you with.

Btw there is a batch tool for NPC ID updates but due to not being used much it hasn't been improved on and has issues. One of the probs it has is mostly caused by the names packet captures come up with don't match the names the polutils dump comes up with...Unfortunately some NPCs can't be found by polutils at all because client side the dat file just doesn't have a name for them.
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS