Changing DSP from console to Windowed form

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
Delaide

Re: Changing DSP from console to Windowed form

Post by Delaide » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:33 pm

Windows 7 Ultimate. Even turning off UAC gives this error, but ideally, I want to be able to release for others to use, so turning off UAC is not really an option, since the system cannot turn off and turn on without a system restart. Honestly, unsure if it is a UAC issue, but based on working with my batch file, which had the same results, I assume this is the issue. Yeah, I started programming with Windows 3.1 with Networking. I haven't done any programming since Windows 95, so since the UAC adoption in Vista, I have always ran into strange problems around the UAC environment. Vista almost flew out my window on more than one occasion, and that was just running normal programs, not trying to create my own...

atom0s
Developer

Post by atom0s » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:35 pm

Delaide wrote:Windows 7 Ultimate. Even turning off UAC gives this error, but ideally, I want to be able to release for others to use, so turning off UAC is not really an option, since the system cannot turn off and turn on without a system restart. Honestly, unsure if it is a UAC issue, but based on working with my batch file, which had the same results, I assume this is the issue. Yeah, I started programming with Windows 3.1 with Networking. I haven't done any programming since Windows 95, so since the UAC adoption in Vista, I have always ran into strange problems around the UAC environment. Vista almost flew out my window on more than one occasion, and that was just running normal programs, not trying to create my own...
Care to post the source to the application you have issues running your stuff with? I can take a look at it locally and see if I spot any issues and try to help you out.

Delaide

Post by Delaide » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:40 pm

Actually, I have almost no source. I have been poking with VB right now, so the code is in VB, but here is the source:

Code: Select all

Public Class Form1

Private Sub ComboBox1_SelectedIndexChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs)

End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Start.Click
        Process.Start("D:\PlayOnline\SquareEnix\Final Fantasy XI server\darkstar\DSConnect-server.exe")
    End Sub
End Class
The rest of the code is the default VB code creation from Visual Express.
You can find the program attached. So honestly, no idea what is wrong. It is almost nothing, but not liking the dsp consoles.
DSP Control.7z
(117.14 KiB) Downloaded 229 times
This attachment is the one that uses a program launch, since the one where I ran the bat file creates an infinite loop for some reason.

atom0s
Developer

Post by atom0s » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:53 pm

The issue you have here is due to the base path not being set. So the game servers start assuming the base directory is what your application is currently using. You need to define the working directory like this:

Code: Select all

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles Start.Click
        Dim proc As New ProcessStartInfo()
        proc.FileName = "C:\Users\atom0s\Documents\GitHub\darkstar\DSConnect-server.exe"
        proc.WorkingDirectory = "C:\Users\atom0s\Documents\GitHub\darkstar\"
        Process.Start(proc)
    End Sub

Delaide

Post by Delaide » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:22 am

Thanks! I will try this out. Strange that I have not seen this answer in all the stack exchange, MSDN, etc, forums I have combed through.

And, perfect! No more log errors. Many thanks :D