FFXI major overhaul

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
KOSMOS

FFXI major overhaul

Post by KOSMOS » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:58 am

Looks like they are making FFXI moblie in the next year. Not sure how that will effect this, but figured the sooner everyone knew the better chances we could find a way to keep the project going even if like when Blizzard revamped WoW the private servers stayed at that point.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threa ... post543880

kjLotus
Special Guest

Re: FFXI major overhaul

Post by kjLotus » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:52 am

i do believe that is a completely separate thing (or at least doesn't affect the windows client)

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:23 pm

So much butthurt in their forums about pricing and the console versions .. lol
-- Whasf

Desufire

Post by Desufire » Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:50 pm

From what I've been able to gather, it's sounding like a separate game. The same FF11, but different servers specifically for mobile devices. Could be wrong though since the info I've been able to scrounge is pretty much rumors.

Delaide

Post by Delaide » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:36 am

Odd, what I read was basically that it was a different game, but that the actions taken on it would transfer over to your standard game account. It makes me think of ffvii, where in Japan, for the wonderswan (Was it for wonderswan, or another, idr), they had a chocobo minigame that was released only in Japan. You could play the minigame, and the items transferred over to your regular game when you booted it up. Sorry, it has been a while, and I am operating based on memory. Maybe I could install again using my old discs and check, but I seem to remember there was a minigame link, that did not work because the hh console wasn't available in the US. It could be something similar for ffxi.

skkirby

Post by skkirby » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:53 am

From my understanding FF GrandMasters or Mobile Spinoff or whatever title it's going to be Knighted with. Will be a freemium game version. Nexon MMMRPG game free to play but pay to win.

No new content for windows or support, so good news no new updates with massive changes. The beta for Grandmasters is slated for this year in Japan. They are getting rid of the console support for xbox and PSX versions. It is just a matter of time before POL and their severs are seal off and entombed forever. They are not out right killing FFXI for PC but they will make it stagnant so they will end up shutting it down because the cost to maintain the servers will not be profitable. Maybe even throw in a few tactics to entice the window players with some bait to lead them over to the mobile version.

Good news is that more people will be crawling the net and finding DarkStar projects to get their FFXI fixes.

I don't know much about how this works. It might behoove to stop relying on for updates through SE from POL and make a stand alone Darkstar POL version or whatever you guys do.

EDIT: Windows will get updates uptil Nov of this year 2015. Then Maple Story Nexon will have complete control with cash shops. I wonder if SE would put in a kill code for our private servers to stop this whole project.

whasf
Site Admin

Post by whasf » Fri Mar 20, 2015 2:38 pm

Preserving the FFXI client should be on the back of our minds now. The idea was getting tossed around by CipherX when I just came onto DSP a few years back, but now we kinda need to bring it up again..
-- Whasf

horizon

Post by horizon » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:30 am

pardon if some of these questions are a bit base, or have been discussed before, but I was curious about something the other day, which is of a similar topic:

Before I started running my own personal server to solo around on, I played around on a couple private servers to see how close the project was getting to retail. I remember the owner of one server talking about how they were planning on releasing a patch that made it no longer necessary to run POL/update the client. I don't know if thy were serious or simply boasting, but it made me curious. In the event that SE finally shuts down the servers (or eventuality), is it possible to, in essence, have a "private client" to go with DSP that does not require a live link with SE/POL?

I'm not entirely sure as to where DSP ends and where the official POL/Client begins, and to what extent DSP is dependent on their infrastructure.

Delaide

Post by Delaide » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:18 am

You only need the live link for retail updates. So, you would just have the last version installed. I am just not sure how those who do not have the client already up to date would update for the last version. Manual patching?

ex0r

Post by ex0r » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:08 am

Delaide wrote:You only need the live link for retail updates. So, you would just have the last version installed. I am just not sure how those who do not have the client already up to date would update for the last version. Manual patching?
All SE uses is a torrent system to update to the newer version. It would not be difficult to make an update client (provided that people would actually seed), that would do exactly what SE's client does. I think the only reason nobody has done it up to this point, is because SE already does it. Once they stop providing updates though, and the update servers go offline, it wouldn't be hard for somebody who is at the very last client version to create a torrent and start seeding so others can download the latest client version.