FFXI major overhaul

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
tagban

Re: FFXI major overhaul

Post by tagban » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:00 pm

The real issue here is who the hell wants to host the entire server to host these files.. It'd be better if we handled it with a torrenting system. Ideally, a torrent client built into the launcher, that simply checks for new versions and grabs them. And have quite a few servers sharing out the files 'latest.torrent' file or whatever the system checked for. Or 'check for new version, found via dspt.info/version.txt, downloading that torrent and extracting the files. Would be a bit safer to do. But still need the initial installer/configuration. The Adoulin installer does a great job, basically just run a batch file after that, that adds a patch file so checkfiles works, otherwise, just make it do the entire kit and kaboodle from a torrent, mainly because they share the load instead of one server holding all the files, it can be shared across the entirety of DSP, and anyone running a dsp server esssentially would become a torrent hoster for that particular asset list. But that is something that won't be entirely necessary until SE pulls the plug of which I have a feeling we have a few years left. Since they have yet to lower the monthly price of XI yet down to a cheaper level, to drive more traffic (IE: If they put it down to $5/month I'd go back to retail.)

TeoTwawki
Developer

Re: FFXI major overhaul

Post by TeoTwawki » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:55 pm

A torrent like update system is the worst possible thing I can imagine............next to SE's current turd.

I know I'm a month beyond when I said I'd do it, but I'll get the installer posted soon.
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS