Preparing to move forward.

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
Crosine

Preparing to move forward.

Post by Crosine » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:34 am

Hey again everyone, as always I want to thank you for your hard work and dedication to the project bringing it as far as you have! Now to the task at hand and looking for advice and suggestions on which path to travel next. Just recently after learning of SE's plan of implementing their final content and major updates, I decided that it was time to reinstall my private server and begin to teach myself and learn to help propel this project forward. Since that time with some help from the various posts on this forum, I have managed to get the server up, create an auto backup/update/commit script, create GM characters for future testing and will soon have the auction house functioning with the pydarkstar program. Once that has been completed I will be looking into 1 of 2 paths. First, lock my version to RoZ content only, playing through all 3 original campaigns and RoZ storyline and fixing things as i go quest/mission/cutscene wise until it is 100%. Second try to get more in depth and work on core functionalty in the areas that still need it, ie: PUP class etc. Now I am super new to programming but it is something I enjoy and I will be saving things as I go along so when stuff is completed I will be able to share everything I have. (YAY SHARING! :D)
I would like to get the developers opinion as the best place to start that will help boost you all along and be able to contribute with my limited knowledge. Hope to get your feed back soon and look forward to learning programming in the process. Thanks everyone for your time, and as always, stay awesome. 8-)

demolish
Developer

Re: Preparing to move forward.

Post by demolish » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:52 am

work on whatever you want
just be sure to hang around our irc channel since that's where you'll get the most help (and faster responses than waiting on forum replies)

quests would be a good start though, as there's tons of scripts to learn from (as well as quest/bcnm guides on the wiki)
<Giblet[NewBrain]> kj with this first step would be fine on my shit
Click here for a guide on scripting missions.

Crosine

Post by Crosine » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:20 pm

Thanks for the reply Demolish. I will start down path 1 then and try and fix things as I come across them. This is probably a dumb question but I have seen everyone talking about the IRC chat. How do I go about accessing that so as to be able to get these faster replies you speak of? Thanks again for all your help and I look forward to learning/working beside you all. :D

TeoTwawki
Developer

Post by TeoTwawki » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:22 pm

Getting the older content done first is something I know the project wants, but ain't nobody gonna reject things for being done "out of order" as long as its retail accurate. :)
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS