Repetitive private servers

Any discussion not related to the other forum topics
Siatdiat

Repetitive private servers

Post by Siatdiat » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:21 pm

Has anyone considered trying to start a private server that starts with a level 50 cap, like it was at Japanese release? I'm just tossing this concept out there for people with more time and resources to possibly create a new private server that's not exactly like the rest of them.

TeoTwawki
Developer

Re: Repetitive private servers

Post by TeoTwawki » Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:24 pm

I recall at least 2 trying to do that. No idea if they still exist.
Hi, I run The Demiurge server.

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code will be a violent psychopath who knows where you live. - Martin Golding
PLS USE [ code ] CODE TAGS [ /code ] WHEN POSTING CODE
DO NOT PRIVATE MESSAGE ME ABOUT BUGS

nasomi

Post by nasomi » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:29 am

While neat in theory, when the game was released there were no wiki's to guide you through things. Everything had to be discovered from scratch, which slowed gameplay down considerably. At the current rate of players doing things, people would be out of things to do in very short order, which would leave you with demands for new content and something to do. Remember, in 50 cap, there was minimal end game content. No dynamis/limbus/sky/sea.

My server is up through CoP, and people blow through it's content as fast as humanly possible, and then say they want more, mean while if they had taken their time the content would have lasted much longer. That's not really the mindset though. I suppose if you changed just enough so that the wiki's didn't apply, you might have better luck than releasing a standard out of the box vanilla ffxi.

Siatdiat

Post by Siatdiat » Tue May 03, 2016 9:14 am

There actually was content at 50 cap for jp players, they got to fight serket, nq kings, and other MMs that would be marginalized by a higher level cap. There is gear and drops in the game that would be great to work toward with a cap of 50, also content that was added later with a level 50 cap could be used.